Memory Card Information
The most common causes of Memory Card Failure are listed below:
- Removing the memory card from a camera while an image is being written to the card
- Removing the card from a memory card reader while files are still being transferred to a computer
- Removing the card from a card reader while folders and files from the card are open on a computer
- Opening, deleting, renaming or moving files on the card while its contents are open on a computer
- Using a memory card which has not been formatted in the camera. Use the delete/erase function when needed, however a card should be regularly formatted.
- Formatting a card in a computer instead of the camera
- Inserting a second memory card into a card reader before closing and removing the first when viewing images on the card from a computer
- Taking photos when camera batteries are nearly empty
- Taking photos too rapidly so the camera can not complete writing one image before starting the next
- Continually shooting and deleting, shooting and deleting images when the card is full
- Letting a memory card get too full before downloading the images to a computer or storage device. Cards that are too full may overwrite the card headers.
- Using a memory card from one camera in a different camera without formatting it in the new camera first